School of History and Philosophy of Science
Recent papers and talks:
• Covid Heterodoxy in Three Layers (4K). Now published. Reply to Akçay.
• Climatic and Other Catastrophes – a talk given at Columbia U., 2022. Mostly about science, incentives, and trust. Now with additions.
• Two corrections to Theory and Reality, 2nd ed.
• Models, Fictions, & Conditionals
(Photo by Daniel Boud)
Other recent papers:
• Philosophy and Science (New School talk, 2014, NYC)
• If Not Vegan, then What? (Aeon)
• Octopus Debris Throwing (PLOS One)
• Tolerance: A Hierarchical Analysis (with Ben Kerr). Preprint
• Gradualism and the Evolution of Experience
• Philosophers and Other Animals (in Aeon, with extra notes here).
• Food and Farming (draft)
• Reafference and the Origin of the Self in Early Nervous System Evolution, (Jékely, Godfrey-Smith, Keijzer),
• The Dual Landscape Model of Adaptation and Niche Construction (with Mark Tanaka and Ben Kerr). Preprint version here.
* A page with reviews and extra material related to Other Minds
• On The Coming Plague – a 1997 book review.
• Materialism, Then and Now [where ‘then’ is 1968]
• Evolving Across the Explanatory Gap
• Communication and Representation as Sender-Receiver Coordination (with Ron Planer).
* I am now also on twitter.
• In the Beginning There Was Information?
• Individuality, Subjectivity, and Minimal Cognition
• Art and Evolution (a book review).